Theotocarion - Its use in the the Great Compline

GeorgeStef

Νέο μέλος
Dear Friends of the Psaltic art
I note from the Triodion Book that although there does not appear to be a set order in the Great Compline for the Kanon to be done during each of the second to the sixth weeks of lent, it is mentioned that these Kanons can generally be found in a book known as the Theotocarion. Is anyone aware of a source, Greek or English, text and/or music, for this book of Kanons. Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
GeorgeStef

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
There are a number of sources for the Theotokarion. The Ecumenical Patriarchate in the mid 1800s approved the following one (see link below, which to my knowledge is public domain and does not violate copyright).

http://rs230.rapidshare.com/files/193793686/Theotokarion.pdf

There is a Theotokarion published by the Monastery of Tatarna in Greece and is available for sale here:

http://www.greekbooks.gr/BookDetails.aspx?id=168801

Last, Apostoliki Diakonia ths Ekklhsias ths Ellados has published a Theotokarion and it is available through their bookstore.

There are some differences in some specific odes among the three, but largely they are not to the degree that would be considered "serious".

I am unaware of any English versions, at least those commonly accepted by the English-speaking Orthodox world under the Ecumenical Patriarchate's jurisdiction. For this, I defer to Fr. Ephraim at the Monastery of St-Anthony in Arizona (and the moderator of theis subforum), USA who is a wealth of knowledge to answer these questions :)

NG

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
I am unaware of any English versions, at least those commonly accepted by the English-speaking Orthodox world under the Ecumenical Patriarchate's jurisdiction.

NG

Fr. Nicholas Palis has translated St. Nikodemos' entire Theotokarion into English. However, it has not yet been edited, or metered, unfortunately... so it's extremely rough right now. It would be such a wonderful resource if it was polished, metered, and published!

Nikolaos Giannoukakis

Παλαιό Μέλος
Father Nicholas Palis is a wonderful person and a priest that exudes Orthodox Christianity. It would be good if someone with the talents of translation-metering could look at this with him and see what can be done....

NG.

frephraim

Παλαιό Μέλος
I am unaware of any English versions, at least those commonly accepted by the English-speaking Orthodox world under the Ecumenical Patriarchate's jurisdiction. For this, I defer to Fr. Ephraim at the Monastery of St-Anthony in Arizona (and the moderator of theis subforum), USA who is a wealth of knowledge to answer these questions :)

Thank you for holding me in such high regard, but the truth is that all of you have answered his questions much better than I could have. I'm not aware of any other English translations of the Theotokarion.
By the way, just for the record I'm actually the moderator of only the sub-forum St Anthony's Seminar on Composing Byzantine Music in English.

Shota

Παλαιό Μέλος
Check also these editions from Anemi, here and here. Free to download of course.

The second one seems to be a reprint of the Theotokarion as edited by St. Nikodemos Hagioritis. Are there any studies that compare his work with older editions? As a side note, in Georgian practice Theotokarion as a separate book is unknown. All the canons of the Apodeipnon are given in the Parakletike.

GabrielCremeens

Music Director at St. George, Albuquerque, NM
Father Nicholas Palis is a wonderful person and a priest that exudes Orthodox Christianity. It would be good if someone with the talents of translation-metering could look at this with him and see what can be done....

NG.

I agree 100% with your comments about Fr. Nicholas... :)

And give me about 10 years, God willing, and perhaps I could try, with God's help, to try help Fr. Nicholas with the Theotokarion!

radohri

Νέο μέλος
I need some help with the identification of this text: „….ού πυρπολεί με κάν εν αγκάλαις φέρω”.
For the moment I know that it is included with some Holy Virgin icons. With the exception of one icon from the end of the 17th c. from Bulgaria, I have not met it on other icons.
I am interested in the source of this text: from which akathist or other Virgin hymn?
Do you know any other icon that features this text? If there are any, I am interested in which period they belong to, their origin and any other additional information.
Thank you in advance

brucewayne

Νέο μέλος
I was told that The Living Spring Greek Orthodox Monastery in Dunlap, California has translated the Theotokarion of Saint Nicodemus, but it is still being proof-edited. You might be able to contact the monastery to confirm whether this is true and see if they can provide a timeline. If you do, please post back here with any information you find :).

The monastery's book store website is here and there is a "Contact Us" page. If I'm not mistaken, some of their little booklets contain single canons from the Theotokarion, such as this one.

There's also a couple canons translated here by someone else.